Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Universal Language

Well quite a bit has happened since I last blogged, including a huge garbage strike! About a week ago there was a large garbage strike by sanitation workers in Sevilla that just ended this week... I must say that the normal fresh (slightly orange-y from the thousands of orange trees) smell in this city quickly changed to a dirty fish smell within one week. It was quite disgusting, not to mention quite aesthetically displeasing. Thankfully, the strike is over and the streets are cleared. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the garbage before it cleared but here is an article about it if you want to learn more!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/08/spain-garbage-strike/1901451/

Aside from the garbage excitement, one of the things that is exciting me most is the sense of family I am beginning to feel here: with my friends and with my host family. Recently, my host family (consisting of my host mother and father) had some of their family over for lunch. Don't be deceived. "Lunch" does not mean a turkey sandwich. Lunch is like having what North Americans would consider a large dinner. And it was wonderful!

My host dad has three daughters from a previous marriage and so all of them and their significant others came over. One of his daughters is living in France right now so she made us a French dish of vegetables and duck. I can't say duck has ever been my favorite meal- I've had it once in a Chinese restaurant and it was okay but nothing that enticing to me. However, this duck was AMAZING. Absolutely delicious. But it wasn't the duck that I enjoyed most, it was their company. Going into the afternoon I was nervous. I didn't know what they would think of me, I was nervous about being surrounded by a lot of people I didn't know, and mostly nervous about not understanding what was going on.

I had nothing to worry about because it was an absolute blast. I walked in and (naturally) received a million kisses and hugs and was welcomed by greetings and loud chatter. On the one hand, I was extremely overwhelmed. I had just gotten out of an exam and was tired from thinking so much in Spanish. On the other, I could not have loved that first get together more. It was my family, but in Spain. Everyone was yelling and discussing the latest gossip and playing with the baby (one of his daughters has a baby who's not even 1 year old yet... adorable!) and hugging and kissing each other... it was madness and I loved every second of it. At one point, my host mom asked me if I understood what was going on. I said yes, but only about half of it. It is much harder to understand a language when people are all talking at once and extremely fast. But I told her that it was just like my family at home: loud and loving. She continued to ask me throughout the afternoon if I wanted to go up to my room for a nap or to relax and I had to keep telling her that I was fine staying with them. I was having way too much fun being with the family and watching them interact. The amount of joy it brought me to just sit at the table and watch and feel the love they have for each other was incredible. I didn't feel out of place even though I only said a few words here and there. I felt like I was home. And there is something so comforting and wonderful about that. No matter where you go, you can find family and people who love each other. Love is a universal language. Sometimes it is hard to feel like I fit in here because it's so different from my home. Even though I love everything about being here, there are moments when I am reminded that I am a foreigner. It can be hard in these moments to feel as though I belong or have something to offer to the people here. But with family, you can always feel like you belong. Whether family means your parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, significant other, friends, or host family, they are there for you and they love you with a love that is difficult to explain in words. And love is what reminds me that although we are all very different with different cultures, beliefs, languages, and lifestyles, there is one love that transcends all.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to get a picture of everyone while we were all together but I know I'll see them soon so pictures will come eventually! Also, here's my address if you want to write me. I can't receive packages but cards or letters are always appreciated!


Elizabeth Riggio
CIEE Study Center in Seville
Calle Muñoz y Pabón, 9
41004 – Sevilla, SPAIN

Until next time, hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment