Monday, February 4, 2013

Slowing Down

Well now that I have been here for three weeks, I truly feel like I have a handle on the main things I need to know while living here. I know how to navigate the city, where the important buildings are, how to use the public transportation, where the soccer fields are (obviously the most important). These past few weeks have been all about meeting new people, getting lost, and enjoying Sevilla's beauty. I just finished the two week intensive grammar session and today is my first day of the regular session of classes. Can't wait!!

Transportation here is one of the most fascinating aspects of the city to me. Firstly, most people drive mopeds, which are little motorcycle-like bikes. These fit down the little narrow cobblestone streets, so they are quite practical for Sevilla where there are only a few "main" roads that are like our big city streets. Cars are very small. I have yet to see what we would consider a "regular" midsized car in the United States. And people park WHEREVER they want. Literally. On the curb, in the middle of a walking path, on the rounded corner of a street, it's quite interesting. As far as public transportation, there is a large tram in the middle of the city that goes around the center of the city, there are buses, and there are bikes. I love the idea of the public bike system. There are bikes parked all over the city in a bike rack and all you need to do is buy a pass or you can pay for an individual ride (much more expensive) and you can ride from one point in the city to another! It's genius. Great exercise and anyone can use it. After you arrive at your destination, you park the bike in the rack and someone else can use it next! Also, people here loveeee to rollerblade... as transportation and as recreation. There is always someone zooming past on rollerblades and it's a lot of fun to watch people doing tricks in the main plaza! But for me, the best mode of transportation is to walk. I enjoy the long walk to class and the atmosphere. And really, there aren't very many places in Sevilla that are difficult to get to by foot.

Right now, the big news in Sevilla is REBAJAS, or sales. There are two times during the year when there are sales in stores here: January/February and July/August. These sales are ginormous. Every store has sales and it's fantastic, as well as dangerous. All I want to do is buy everything I see! Anything from shoes, clothing, purses, household items, you name it, it's on sale. I bought a sweater the other day for 3 euros which translates to approximately $4. MADNESS.

Other than figuring out transportation and enjoying rebajas, I have been exploring the city. Las setas (a big mushroom-like structure near the shopping center), Bar Rinconcillo (built in 1670 and one of the oldest bars still running. It was often frequented back in the day by writers and poets! That's MY kind of place.), Plaza de Espana (words literally do not do it justice), the Cathedral and La Giralda, just to name a few. Last Sunday I left Sevilla for the first time since I've been here to go on a hike at Sierra de Aracena in Huelva. It's a small town outside of Sevilla and it is beautiful for hiking. It was fun to pass through a small town along the way and watch some kids play soccer. I love that I see soccer everywhere in this country!

Learning about this city and its people is my favorite part thus far about life in Sevilla. There is always something new at each turn. I am constantly in awe of the beautiful old buildings and plazas. When I talk to my Spanish friends, they all say how much they want to visit New York City to see skyscrapers... Why??? Look at boring buildings that are identical or buildings with their own unique character? Seems like an easy choice to me. But I guess their interest in New York City is like my interest in Sevilla. It's new, it's different, it's something they've never experienced before. But sometimes I just cannot believe that I am walking amongst buildings that have been here for YEARS. People like Lope de Vega, Cervantes, and Ernest Hemingway were here! Maybe it's the English major in me that is so fascinated by it, but this beautiful city never ceases to amaze me.

But it's not just learning about the city that fascinates me. The other day, my American friend and I were out with two of our Spanish friends. We were walking in the center of the city, looking for some fried fish tapas for dinner. All of a sudden, one of my Spanish friends stops us and says, in Spanish of course, "Why are we walking so fast??" Me and my American friend look at each other a little confused. We didn't think we were walking that fast. But he continued by saying that we need to learn to slow down and enjoy everything that is around us. He said that in America, it seems like everyone is in a rush to get somewhere, but Sevillans know how to relax and enjoy the walk. After he told me this, I really noticed how much faster I walk than the natives. Although I'm a fast walker by nature, I took his advice and have slowed down and learned to enjoy every moment of the day. Whether it be a visit to Plaza de Espana, meeting a friend for a drink, or simply the walk to class.


Until next time... Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment